Clinic facilities

Reproductive health clinic bomb scare results in federal sentence for Ohio man

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — A judge in the Southern District of Ohio has convicted a Columbus man of threatening a reproductive health services facility.

Carlos Manuel Rodríguez Brime, 25 years old, was charged in September 2021 for making two separate phone threats in April 2021 to a Columbus reproductive healthcare clinic. Brime pleaded guilty of threatening to kill a patient he thought wanted an abortion, and of later saying over the phone that his “organization” would bring a bomb to the facility, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Ohio said it previously charged Brime with violating the Clinic Entrances Freedom of Access Act, related to his threats to people receiving or providing services. reproductive health. He was also charged with making threatening statements through interstate communications and with issuing a bomb threat.

Brime pleaded guilty in February and was sentenced in federal court on Wednesday to a year and a day in prison.

“Reproductive health providers and people seeking to access these services must be able to do so without violence or threats of violence,” Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke said in a statement. “This conviction should send a strong message that the Department of Justice will continue to aggressively enforce the FACE law and hold accountable those who violate the law. We stand ready to ensure that health care providers and people seeking reproductive health services are safe and free from violence and threats of violence.

The charges against Brime originally faced him with a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.